- The three-year course is open to musicians of any nationality who are no more than 27 years of age.
- Candidates must possess a 1st or 2nd Level Degree or Conservatory Diploma (old Italian system) in Vocal Studies. If the degree was obtained abroad, it will be considered valid if it has been declared equivalent to a Conservatory diploma; it is the responsibility of any student admitted to a course to obtain the equivalence of the foreign qualification, pursuant to applicable Italian laws.
- Candidates should be fluent in the Italian language.
Exceptions to these requirements may be permitted only in exceptional cases, in the event of special, recognized artistic qualities and subject to the evaluation and approval of both the teacher and the Academic Board.
Provided that the above requirements are met, admission to the course is subject to an entrance examination.
Applications for admission
Applications for admission must be submitted online (form https://santacecilia.it/en/master-courses/form-di-iscrizione-corsi-di-perfezionamento)by no later than the 10th July 2023.
Proof of the application being successfully sent will consist of the e-mail notification sent by the Accademia.
The following documents must be attached to the online application:
- diploma certificate
- artistic CV and list of studied repertoire;
- examination programme at the candidate’s choice;
- photocopy of passport or other identification document;
- proof of payment of the examination admission fee.
Performance of three pieces from operas of different periods and styles, one of which from the Baroque repertoire.
Entrance examinations will be held in two phases:
- Pre-selection based on video recordings sent by applicants and made according to the following criteria:
- fixed-camera, unedited, uninterrupted filming of at least one movement of each piece of the entrance examination programme;
- each piece of the submitted programme must be recorded separately (1 file 1 piece);
- only files in MP4 format shall be accepted;
- the individual files must be named with SURNAME and name of the candidate, author, title of the piece (e.g. ROSSI Mario_Beethoven_Simphony n ° 5.mp4). In order to facilitate indexing, please follow the indicated order.
Registrations that do not comply with the aforementioned technical requirements will not be considered valid for admission to the pre-selection.
Video recordings must be forwarded via WeTransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than the 10th July 2023.
- Final live exams: the candidates who will have passed the pre-selection will be asked to hold a live audition in Rome, at the Academy’s headquarters, Via Vittoria, 6 on the 16th October 2023. The results of the pre-selection and the exam call will be communicated at least 3 (three) weeks in advance.
The Examination Panel may ask the candidates to perform all or part of the programme (also of the recorded pieces or parts of them). The pieces shall be prepared in full and performed from memory. The Panel may ask the candidates to describe the motivations and objectives connected to attending the course. The candidates shall appear at the examination bearing a valid identification document, as well as the musical material for their examination programme.
The course lasts three years and includes the following exams:
- two intermediate exams (promotion from the 1st to the 2nd year and from the 2nd to the 3rd year);
- a diploma exam at the end of the third year of attendance.
The diploma exam can be brought forward to the end of the second year only in exceptional cases, subject to approval by the Academic Board.
Every course year is organized in twenty-five days of lessons held by the teacher, in which each student must guarantee attendance of at least 12 individual lessons, as well as the participation in the collective and artistic activities included in the course curriculum.
The student shall organize his/her attendance schedule in accordance with his/her teacher.
Inability to attend one or more scheduled lessons shall be communicated to the teacher and to the academic office (segreteria didattica) as far in advance as possible, in order to allow re-scheduling of the other lessons. In the event of sudden inability to attend, this must be promptly communicated to the academic office (segreteria didattica) by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
Repeated and/or unjustified absences may result in the exclusion from the promotion or diploma examinations.
In the event of interruption of the course for health-related reasons, the student shall be entitled to repeat the interrupted course year during the subsequent academic year, upon submitting a medical certificate.
Attendance cannot be suspended on educational or artistic grounds; in the event of voluntary interruption of the attendance, a new admission application will have to be submitted for the subsequent year, and the corresponding examination will have to be taken.
For each student, the overall duration of attendance will be determined by the teacher, and cannot exceed three years.
Students are required to inform their teacher of any educational and/or artistic activities outside the Accademia that are planned during course attendance; in this regard, students enrolled in other courses are asked to submit a certificate of enrolment of the attended courses (2nd level / master programmes, etc.).
At the end of each year of attendance, students shall take an examination for promotion to the subsequent course year, with the programmes indicated below.
Promotion from course year I to II
- Performance of three arias, taken from Operas / Oratorios / Sacred or Secular Cantatas by any author, one of which from the Baroque repertoire, and performance of a complete opera role.
The programme must be prepared in full and performed from memory.
The Commission may request the execution of all or part of the submitted programme.
Promotion from course year II to III
- Performance of three arias, taken from Operas / Oratorios / Sacred or Secular Cantatas by any author, one of which from the Baroque repertoire, different from those presented in the previous year, and performance of a complete opera role, different from the one presented in the previous year.
The programme must be prepared in full and performed from memory.
The Commission may request the execution of all or part of the submitted program.
Should a student fail to pass a promotion examination, he/she shall be entitled to re-apply for admission to the course only after one academic year has passed after the one during which he/she was not confirmed.
The Diploma exam consists in the public performance of a concert program, lasting approximately one hour, including two complete opera roles, one of which from the Baroque repertoire.
The program must be performed in full and from memory.
Decisions made by Examination Panels for admissions, promotions and diplomas are final and indisputable.
Examination and attendance fees
- € 50.00 entrance examination;
- € 950.00 yearly attendance (for students enrolled at the same time in the Chamber Music course, one of the two fees is reduced to € 800.00);
- € 100.00 promotion examination;
- € 250.00 diploma examination.
Students in arrears with their course tuition and examination fees will not be admitted to lessons or to examinations.
All payments, specifying as reason “Singing Course,” may be made via:
- postal account payment
no. 30406003, made out to Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia – Fondazione
- wire transfer
c/c n. 9872, made out to Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia – Fondazione
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro (BNL) Agenzia n. 6340 di Roma, Via del Corso, 471
IBAN: IT31 I 010 0503 2400 0000 0009 872
SWIFT: BIC BNL IITRR
- Paypal on Fondazione’s website at this link https://santacecilia.it/alta-formazione/paypal
The receipt of the payment for attendance must be sent to the academic office (segreteria didattica) by no later than 15 days after the date of admission to the course. Students may pay the attendance fee in two instalments of equal amount, the second of which is to be paid by no later than 01 March.
Withdrawal from the course shall not entitle the student to be refunded what was paid.
Informations and contacts
Academic office (segreteria didattica)
Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia
Via Vittoria, 6 – 00187 Roma
Tel: +39 0632817.348 – 321 – 305
Fax: +39 0632817366
All requests and communications to the academic office (segreteria didattica) should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying the purpose of the request for quicker handling.