The former Orsoline convent at Via Vittoria 6 has been home to Accademia di Santa Cecilia since 1876. Founded by Camilla Borghese Orsini in the first half of the seventeenth century, it became state-owned property following the dissolution of the religious corporations abolished by the unitary state of Italy. The building was restored in the mid-eighteenth century by the architects Mauro Fontana and Pietro Camporese and, after being transferred to the Accademia, the complex was further enlarged and renovated. The small, deconsecrated church of Saints Joseph and Ursula became the first concert hall, and in 1893 it was donated to Accademia Nazionale di Arte Drammatica for rehearsals and performances. Via Vittoria was also the first home of the music school, which became an autonomous entity in 1911 and, in 1919, the state Conservatorio, permanently separated from the Accademia. The Via Vittoria complex also includes the Sala Accademica – built in 1894 by the architect Pompeo Coltellacci – where the Accademia’s concerts were held from 1895 until the move to the Augusteo in 1908.
Currently, the Via Vittoria complex is the site of master courses, and the registered office of Accademia di Santa Cecilia.
Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia
Via Vittoria, 6
00187 – Roma
Partita Iva 05662271005 . Codice Fiscale 80143210583