- The three-year course is open to musicians of any nationality who are no more than 30 years of age.
- Candidates must possess a 1stor 2ndLevel Degree or Conservatory Diploma (old Italian system) earned in the discipline for which they are applying. If the degree was obtained abroad, it will be considered valid if it has been declared equivalent to a Conservatory diploma; it is the responsibility of any student admitted to a course to obtain the equivalence of the foreign qualification, pursuant to applicable Italian laws.
Exceptions to these requirements may be permitted only in exceptional cases, in the event of special, recognized artistic qualities and subject to the evaluation and approval of both the teacher and the President of the Accademia.
Provided that the above requirements are met, admission to the course is subject to an entrance examination.
Individual enrolments: violin, viola, cello, and piano.
During the first year of attendance, musicians admitted by individual enrolment shall be guided, under the teacher’s supervision, towards the inclusion in one or more ensembles. Upon admission, those who wish to play in an ensemble with other instrumentalists who have also submitted an individual enrolment application may indicate so. Starting from the second year, it will be possible to attend the Course with a single ensemble (from trio to quintet) and to take the final examinations with the programme planned for pre-existing ensembles. Alternatively, students may continue individually with one or more ensembles agreed upon with the teacher.
Enrolments for pre-existing ensembles: strings with or without piano, from duo to quintet.
To enrol in this mode, ensembles are required to have either completed, at the time of enrolment, a specific educational path (chamber music courses or master classes) or to have accomplished a considerable artistic activity. Documentation bearing witness to the ensemble’s prior activity shall be attached to the application.
In all cases, the application shall be submitted on an individual basis by each member of the ensemble.
Applications for admission
Applications for admission must be submitted online (form https://santacecilia.it/en/master-courses/form-di-iscrizione-corsi-di-perfezionamento) by no later than 7 July 2022.
Proof of the application being successfully sent will consist of the e-mail notification sent by the Accademia.
The following documents must be attached to the online application:
- diploma certificate;
- artistic CV and list of studied repertoire;
- for pre-established ensembles: ensemble’s CV and repertoire;
- photocopy of passport or other identification document;
- examination programme chosen by the candidate;
- proof of payment of the examination admission fee.
Examination programme for individual enrolments:
- performance of a major composition written for the student’s instrument, at the candidate’s choice;
- performance of a chamber composition from the duo upwards, at the candidate’s choice;
- Sight reading (only during live examinations)
Examination programme for enrolments of pre-existing ensembles:
Performance of two major compositions written for own ensemble, at the candidates’ choice.
Entrance examinations will be held in two phases:
- Pre-selection based on video recordings sent by applicants and made according the following criteria:
- fixed-camera, unedited, uninterrupted filming of at least one movement of each piece of the entrance examination programme;
- each piece of the submitted programme must be recorded separately (1 file 1 piece);
- only files in MP4 format shall be accepted;
- for INDIVIDUAL enrolments, the individual files must be named with SURNAME and name of the applicant, author, title of the piece (eg. ROSSI Mario _Beethoven_trio op1.mp4) – to facilitate indexing, please follow the indicated order;
- for enrolments of PRE-EXISTING ENSEMBLES, the individual files must be named with ENSEMBLE NAME, author, title of the piece (e.g. TRIO ROSSI_Beethoven_trio op1.mp4) – to facilitate indexing, please follow the indicated order;
- for both types of enrolment, please make sure to list, in the WeTransfer file, the names of all members of the ensemble.
Registrations that do not comply with the aforementioned technical requirements will not be considered valid for admission to the pre-selection.
Video recordings must be forwarded via WeTransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 7 July 2022.
- Final live exams: the candidates who will have passed the pre-selection will be called to a live audition which will take place in Rome, at the Academy’s headquarters in Via Vittoria. The audition date will be communicated at least 3 (three) weeks in advance.
The Examination Panel, at its undisputed judgment, may ask the applicants to perform all or part of the programme (which may include recorded pieces or parts of them). The pieces shall be prepared in full; the solo piece (for individual enrolments) should be preferably performed from memory. The Panel may ask applicants to describe the motivations and objectives connected to attending the course. For the performance of the chamber piece for individual enrolments, applicants shall appear at the examination with their own collaborators; the names of the collaborators must be communicated to the academic secretary (segreteria didattica) in advance. Applicants shall appear at the examination bearing a valid identification document, as well as the musical material for their examination programme.
Every course year is organized in twenty-five days of lessons held by the teacher, in which each student must guarantee attendance of at least 12 individual lessons, as well as participation in the collective and artistic activities included in the course curriculum.
The student shall organize his attendance schedule in accordance with his teacher.
Inability to attend one or more scheduled lessons shall be communicated to the teacher and to the academic office (segreteria didattica) as far in advance as possible, in order to allow re-scheduling of the other lessons. In the event of sudden inability to attend, this must be promptly communicated to the academic office (segreteria didattica) by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
Repeated and/or unjustified absences may result in the exclusion from the promotion or diploma examinations.
In the event of interruption of the course for health-related reasons, the student shall be entitled to repeat the interrupted course year during the subsequent academic year, upon submitting a medical certificate.
Attendance cannot be suspended on educational or artistic grounds; in the event of voluntary interruption of the attendance, a new admission application will have to be submitted for the subsequent year, and the corresponding examination will have to be taken.
For each student, the overall duration of attendance will be determined by the teacher, and cannot exceed three years.
Students are required to inform their teacher of any educational and/or artistic activities outside the Accademia that are planned during course attendance; in this regard, students enrolled in other courses are asked to submit a certificate of enrolment of the attended courses (2nd level / master programmes, etc.).
At the end of each year of attendance, students shall take an examination for promotion to the subsequent course year, with the programmes indicated below:
Promotion from course year I to II
A chamber programme, to be played in one or more groups, that includes two pieces in different styles. The pieces shall be prepared in full. The Panel may request the performance of all or part of the submitted programme. More than one piece for the duo configuration may not be submitted (this limit does not apply to pre-existing duos).
Promotion from course year II to III
A chamber programme, different from the one submitted the previous year, to be played in one or more groups, that includes two pieces in different styles. The pieces shall be prepared in full. The Panel may request the performance of all or part of the submitted programme. More than one piece for duo may not be submitted (this limit does not apply to pre-existing duos).
Should a student fail to pass a promotion examination, he/she shall be entitled to re-apply for admission to the course only after one academic year has passed after the one during which he/she was not confirmed.
Performance and interpretation of one or two movements of a trio, quartet, or quintet or of a piece for the student’s own pre-existing ensemble, of average technical difficulty, assigned by the Panel four hours prior to the examination, to be studied, behind closed doors, for two hours individually and then rehearsed in group for two further hours. The group rehearsal may be attended by a member of the examination Panel. After the performance, the students may be asked to rehearse a brief excerpt of the piece in front of the Panel.
Final public exam
Public performance of a chamber music programme of the duration of approximately one hour, composed of two or more pieces in different styles to be performed with the ensembles in which the student has been included. More than one piece for duo cannot be presented. The programme, subject to the teacher’s approval, shall be made known to the academic office (segreteria didattica), by no later than the date established and announced at the start of the academic year.
One of the presented compositions shall be by a modern or contemporary composer.
Public performance of a chamber music programme of the duration of approximately one hour, composed of two or more pieces in different styles for their own ensemble. The programme, subject to the teacher’s approval, shall be made known to the academic office (segreteria didattica) by no later than the date established and announced at the start of the academic year.
One of the submitted compositions shall be by a modern or contemporary composer.
Decisions made by Examination Panels for admissions, promotions and diplomas are final and indisputable.
Examination and attendance fees
- € 50.00 entrance examination;
- € 950.00 yearly attendance
- € 100.00 promotion examination;
- € 250.00 diploma examination.
Students in arrears with their course tuition and examination fees will not be admitted to lessons or to examinations.
All payments, specifying as reason “Chamber Music Course,” may be made via:
- postal account payment
no. 30406003, made out to Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia – Fondazione
- wire transfer
c/c n. 9872, made out to Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia – Fondazione
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro (BNL) Agenzia n. 6340 di Roma, Via del Corso, 471
IBAN: IT31 I 010 0503 2400 0000 0009 872
SWIFT: BIC BNL IITRR
- Paypal on Fondazione’s website at this link https://santacecilia.it/alta-formazione/paypal
The receipt of the payment for attendance must be sent to the academic office (segreteria didattica) by no later than 15 days after the date of admission to the course. Students may pay the attendance fee in two instalments of equal amount, the second of which is to be paid by no later than 01 March.
Withdrawal from the course shall not entitle the student to be refunded what was paid.
Information and contacts
Informations and contacts
Academic office (segreteria didattica)
Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia
Via Vittoria, 6 – 00187 Roma
Tel: +39 0632817.348 – 321 – 305
Fax: +39 0632817366
All requests and communications to the academic office (segreteria didattica) shall be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying the purpose of the request for quicker handling.